Château Couhins ("Confins" or "Border" in old Gascon) takes its name from its geographical position on the border of the old Comté d'Ornon, marked by a stream called the Eau Blanche. Until the seventeenth century the châteaus of Couhins and Carbonnieux were part of the same estate. Their wine-production probably dates back to ancient times, like many of the large vineyards on the edge of the city of Bordeaux.
In the 1880s, the property was acquired by a well-known Bordeaux wine merchant, Constantin Hanappier, before becoming, through marriages and inheritances, one of the wine properties owned by the Gasqueton family, who already owned châteaus Calon Ségur and Capbern Gasqueton in Saint Estèphe. It was at this time that white wines began to be produced.
Under the sound leadership of Edouard Gasqueton, the property established itself as a producer of exceptional wines, reinforced by the purchase of Château "Pont du Langon" which, attached to Couhins, enabled the vineyard to be expanded to a substantial 60 hectares.
By the 1950s, Couhins' wines had established an enviable reputation. The barrel price regularly reached 60,000 Francs, placing it among the front-runners of wines produced in the Graves region. So it was that in the 1955* classification, which was established, like the 1855 classification, on the basis of scores from the Bordeaux brokers, Château Couhins was promoted to "Cru Classé de Graves" status.
By 1968, Couhins' vines had virtually been abandoned. Of the tens of hectares that had been maintained a few decades ago, barely two hectares of vines remained, which André Lurton managed until 1979. Over the years that followed, Inra restructured the vineyard on the basis of a new system of plot definition and then proceeded with the construction of wine-making facilities that were completed in 1981.
Today, Couhins has twenty-five hectares of vines and employs production techniques based on a combination of traditions and the results of Inra's research at the property.
Marketed within Inra's extensive network for 25 years, Couhins' wines began to be sold through merchants in the Place de Bordeaux in 2007, reflecting a desire to rebuild Couhins' reputation.
A further step will be completed in 2013 with the inauguration of a new production building and a reception structure providing a means of presenting this Cru Classé de Graves to professionals and wine enthusiasts.