The name Peyraguey means hills or promontory. First growth classified in 1855, the Clos is an ancient barony acquired in the 18th century by the President of the Bordeaux Parliament, guillotined at the Revolution. The estate was then acquired by Monsieur Lafaurie under the name, Pichard-Lafaurie. Between 1864 and 1879, the property changed hands from Monsieur Saint Rieul Dupouy to Comte Duchatel. When the count's legacy was divided up in 1879, the estate was split in two: one part was called Lafaurie-Peyraguey as a tribute to Monsieur Lafaurie, who had brought renown and prestige, while the higher land atop the Bommes hill was named Clos Haut-Peyraguey. It was this land that was purchased by a Parisian chemist, Monsieur Grillon. In 1914, Eugène Garbay, Jacques Pauly's great grandfather, purchased the Clos Haut-Peyraguey with Fernand Ginestet (he was already the owner of the Château Haut-Bommes). Several years later,
Monsieur Ginestet left his share to the family business. Eugène Garbay offered both properties to his grandsons, Bernard and Pierre, who exploited both properties for many years.In 2012, Clos Haut-Peyraguey was purchased by Bernard Magrez with the intention of perpetuating the excellence of its Sauternes wines but also to enhance its international renown.